Wednesday, July 7, 2010

I was walking home from work the other day, around dusk and I found myself staring directly at the sun setting in front of me over Hoboken across the river. I don't know whether it was a Manhattanhenge or not, but it seemed like that to me. Manhattanhenge happens semi-annually, when the sun aligns perfectly with Manhattan's east-west street grid. I'm not sure whether it was the blinding light, or the water, or the colors, but it made me think about the first sunrise that I remembered seeing.


I was probably about six or seven years old and my family was driving home from my grandparent's home outside of Richmond. We were on that long bridge/tunnel thing over the Chesapeake Bay, at about 5am. The light woke me up and my dad pulled over to the side of the road and we all got out the camera. I was absolutely enchanted with it because it was all pinks and purples and, well, I was a little girl, so that was my thing. But then the camera wouldn't work, so later we stopped by a souvenir shop to see if we could find some postcards with a sunrise on them. All that they had were sunsets, and I was sad because I loved the pinks and the sunsets were all oranges and yellows. Even though it was the wrong thing I kept that postcard for about 8 years until I moved a couple more times and it kind of fell through the cracks. Yet, through the miracle of the internet I did find a picture of a sunrise over the bay and some other amazing photos...


And just to clear everything up, Manhattanhenge 2010 happens on July 11th at 8:24pm. I will be watching for that.

EDIT: I missed Manhattanhenge because I was being lame and watching "The Big Bang theory" online... fail. There's always next time I suppose.

Next
Newer Post
Previous
This is the last post.

0 comments:

Post a Comment