Wednesday, January 12, 2011

The Palace is putting on a production of Suessical in a few months, and the auditions are in a couple weeks... I was originally not going to try out, but Matt Mayne pointed me in the direction of this character when we met up last week and chatted about it a little. I haven't been in a musical since I was Little Red in Into the woods in 2009... and I really do miss it. I kind of wish it was a different show, but I bet I could do a decent job with her... What do you think? And more importantly, what the heck audition song do I use?



GERTRUDE
It's taken all my courage to approach you
Not to mention all my stamina to follow you
Across the hills and deserts.
But I feel as if I'm ready
To confess to you the feelings
That I've hidden with great diligence and labor...
Behind the facade
Of your odd little next-door neighbor.

My eyes are too small.
I have very large feet.
And I'm not very proud of my pitiful tweet
But I've now got a tail
That is something to see...

HORTON
One hundred and two. One hundred and three.

GERTRUDE
Oh, notice me, Horton, feather by feather.
This is your next-door neighbor calling!
Notice me, Horton.
Horton, together
We could be great
Oh, notice me, Horton
Put down the clover!
This is your next door neighbor calling.
There's a new leaf
Your neighbor's turned over

HORTON
Over and over,
Clover by clover...

GERTRUDE, HORTON
I was just a no one only yesterday.
You showed up and showed me something more.
Now I've become a someone
Who has someone to believe in
And to be there for...

(HORTON continues his search)

GERTRUDE
(Quietly determined)
I will not give up hope.
I was hooked from the start
When I noticed your kind
And your powerful heart.
So notice me, Horton...

HORTON
Oh, the world would be something new

GERTRUDE
Notice me, Horton

HORTON
If they noticed a thing or two...

GERTRUDE
Notice me, Horton

GERTRUDE, HORTON
The way I notice you.

0 comments:

Post a Comment